Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Weekly Critique



I didn't have anything to work on this week for VOX, but I thought I'd post some of my work from the Missourian. 
The first page was a really fun story about going gourmet with eggs: new organic farming techniques, cooking different kinds of eggs (blue eggs, ostrich eggs, etc.), etc. I designed a really fun headline for this story, but it got changed last minute. It said: "The incredible, edible, OSTRICH egg??," and "ostrich" was emphasized with a different color and style of font and with a screen behind it. I was changed on deadline (I was out of town at this time) because the photo next to the headline wasn't of an ostrich egg. I thought about this problem for a split second while I was designing it, but I made the mistake of not saying anything. Through designing my first newspaper page, I learned to pay attention to everything!! I also made the mistake of not keeping a copy of the version I designed, but let me know what you think. 
I'm not sure how I feel about this second one. The story was about how among everything else in this economic crisis, debt has slipped into peoples lives through an unavoidable expense: medical expenses. There wasn't any art for this story, and I really liked the idea of a sort of work collage of words pertaining to debt surrounding the word medical. I was having a lot of trouble concentrating last week, and I think I could have executed this page better. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I think your Missourian pages are great. The story about cracking eggs used a very interesting photo line. I like the difference in sizes. I feel that that story could have been a chance to incorporate a cool illustration. There could have been an egg leaking into a drop cap or something like that. Just my random ideas. Great work!

    ReplyDelete