Wednesday, February 25, 2009

BUSY WEEK!!

This past week, and weekend especially, were cram packed with design!
Over the weekend I worked on the True/False Film Festival feature for VOX with Maggie. I'll wait to post this one because I want you all to see it tomorrow! It was really fun working on this feature...a lot of work...but fun. Maggie has a lot of great ideas, and I think our design vision for this feature really came together well. Meredith also helped us figure out how tho make the feature come together as a whole package. 
I also worked on a two-page spread for Global Journalist this week. I had a bit of a tough time figuring out how to be content-driven with this one. The story is about journalists in Haiti and how they are treated poorly by the police and government. I decided to work with the typography to help tell the story. This is what I came up with...

After meeting with the editor on this story, I'm going to make a few changes: I need to work on balancing the spread. I also need to rework the typographic headline because it is changing to just Standing Together. It wouldn't make any sense to have the tall "T" any more. Any ideas??  Check back to see the final result. 
I forgot to post the link to the web design I did for the Missourian last week. Check it out! The photographer did an great telling the story and the slideshow is awesome! Click here!
I worked on VOX covers for the March 5 issue too. It was really interesting to see that all of us who worked on this cover came up with a lot of the same ideas! I think Jena's cover is going to look great...her post-its worked really well. 

      
With the first two, I was trying to work with the idea of an agenda or a to-do list. I think the first one (the one that looks like an iPhone calendar app.) would have worked best with our audience. I was trying to make the last one look like a post-it on a mirror. Whenever I need to remember something for the next day...I leave myself a not on the mirror the night before!! Any thoughts on these??

2 comments:

  1. I thought your iPhone idea was really clever. I mean obviously post-its speak to us more when we think to do lists and things of that nature, but I thought this was really thinking outside of the box. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I love that I can see in your work the results of your listening to critiques and comments. Right after we discussed treatment of headlines on Thursday, I met with you and Maggie on Friday and saw how you had worked that discussion into the piece immediately. I appreciate this so much, you just don't know. I also see it in your Global Journalist work. Your Mix logos were very nice. In fact, I can't pick my favorite. The palette you chose is stunning. I know you've had a long, hard week, and you've got some great clips out of it. Beautiful True/False package. Well done. Love, Meredith (the TA, not the project.)

    ReplyDelete